A Coaching Model Created by 廖莹 Sophie Liao
- Acknowledge the Feeling first before joining into tacking the problems
- Always be aware of the feeling state of the coachee, as a good start to understand the coached and show empathy when necessary; and be aware of the being of yourself as a coach.
- Engage the coachee for the topics, setting clear contracting for what’s the topic to be discussed and what result is expected to achieve.
- With active listening to engage the coachee in whole coaching session, encourage him to look forward, not backward
- Asking powerful questions to empower the coachee to think or see things in a new perspective
- Provide honest and direct feedback when necessary, as holding a mirror for coachee, to help him get an enlightenment on his self awareness and his own belief and trigger the thoughts what could be changed for better.
- There should be the belief that coachee can find his own way with the trust from coach.
- Encourage a Can-Do attitude and put into action
- Respect the decision made by the coachee and give utmost support as a Coach
The F.E.E.D Coaching Model represents my current coaching style.
I believe this Coaching model starts from showing the respect& empathy to individual feeling as every coaching moment is unique, inter time of the topic itself, the specific time and location and the personal situation at that moment, as the individuals will bring with different topics, that could be a personal situation, a relationship, a growth opportunity, a life opportunity or unknown. Depending upon the individual’s want or need, my role as a coach is to be with him on exploration to support his self discovering through this model.
I will start with a coaching session with a clear contracting to clarify what is the topic and what is expected from coachee, it is a process of engagement on the focus for the conversation. Listening to coachee, being curious for what he is experiencing and what makes him to be a person as he is, can understand his belief and also help him to explore himself; Provide feedback’s, i.e. acknowledge his emotion stage, his thoughts, his belief, value, liking holding the mirror in front of him, is an effective way to facilitate the coaching session to move forward, especially in a situation where the coachee could be stuck by his own thoughts, all of these, helping him to open a new window to see the world /things/people around him so that will trigger a change – that would be his mindset, belief, or behavior. At the end, encourage the coachee to think about what would be the action to change, what barrier he may still have and what resources he could leverage, all in all, a change for a better life.